There was a time when off-road wheels were regarded as playthings of the adventurous; those who lived for the dopamine and the adrenaline whose levels surged while navigating the most challenging terrain. To a certain extent, it still stands true.
But we would be delusional if we believed that the clientele for these superior rims had not increased beyond their initial fans. Today, the fastest growing niche of aftermarket rims are these off-road wonders. By 2027, industry analysts believe that sales of these wheels will rise by 6% every year and will eventually touch 2 billion USD in revenue globally.
Naturally, most of the world’s biggest manufacturers of off-road rims are sensing a tremendous opportunity. While it is almost impossible to determine who’s leading the pack, Fuel Wheels is certainly right there near the top. In fact, Fuel was created to exclusively design and manufacture off-road rims in 2009 by its parent company, MHT Luxury Alloys.
Another name that has garnered a lot of talk over the last 5-6 years is Black Rhino Wheels. The marquee brand is owned by TSW Wheels and the company’s designs are inspired by the mighty rhinoceros of the Great African Plains. Black Rhino is noted for its conservation efforts of this magnificent creature in the national parks of South Africa.
If you are planning to procure a set of superlative branded off-road wheels, you must always visit reputed retailers like California’s AudioCity USA. We only mention the name because we have reviewed a lot of new wheels that this fantastic outlet stores. And we have learned so much from their professionals.
You can visit any store you wish provided they have an impeccable reputation in the market!
A word on purchasing off-road wheels
If you are buying these rims for the first time, do keep these points in mind.
> Both cast and forged off-road rims are widely available. If you’re planning to beat the trails only occasionally, go for cast rims. For die-hard thrill-seekers, forged off-road rims are recommended.
> If you are confused by which size to go for, seek expert opinion at all times. Else, you will have a pretty harsh time off-roading.
> Try and fix a budget before you go for branded off-road wheels. Prices fluctuate like the wind during a squall!
> Always stay away from unbranded off-road rims. Without exception!
Now that we have a few ground rules, here are some handpicked models chosen exclusively for you! To narrow your search a bit, we are sticking (for now) to the following 2 super-brands.
The top 2 Fuel off-road rims available
As a champion manufacturer of such rims, it is no wonder that Fuel Wheels has some of the best designs. While it is rather tough to identify the ‘best’ ones, most experts repose their trust in these models.
- Fuel Blitz D693: One of the most formidable off-road superstars from Fuel is the Blitz D693. While the Blitz range has been around for some time, this is a new addition. Solidly built, lightweight, deep lips and a concave nature are some of its hallmarks. The spokes are designed with an eye for detail and it adds to the overall aesthetics.
The D693 would make for the best off-road rims were it not for its limited sizes. Barring that, it’s an all-rounder with an attractive price tag too!
You can also buy the Dually variant of the D693 now.
- Fuel Cyclone D683: No, that name’s not mere hyperbole! This is one of the best off-road wheels money can buy! With a top-notch load rating, beautifully designed spokes that converge at the middle and weighing in at just about 50 pounds, this is one rim you cannot ignore.
There are plenty of finishes; feel free to take your time!
The top 2 Black Rhino off-road rims you can opt for
Go bold with any of these 2 models!
- Black Rhino Fuji: This is the latest range of cast off-road specials from the brand. We recommend the Fuji BR004 because they have been directly inspired from trucks and pickups that have gone on to win rallies. Black Rhino Wheels is yet to start supplying these models across the United States, but it is doing just that on a war footing.
At the moment, there’s just one size available: 17-inches. With 4 finish options and a multitude of fan-favorite features, we expect this rank newcomer to create waves very soon.
If you are looking for aggressive rims, try out the Fuji range!
- Black Rhino Arsenal AT: Built to last and to provide that wee bit of extra muscle and style, the Arsenal AT is hardly a month old as of October 2022. It only has one size- 16 inches. But with 2 gorgeous finishes and the assurance by the brand that the Arsenal AT is ‘one of their best models till date’, who are we to question them?
Go for the sand-on-black finish for that extra style quotient! This is one range of off-road wheels that will hit the major leagues pretty soon, say most reviewers.
What’s the big deal with AudioCity USA?
Well, it’s 33 years old and still operating in California. When they recently moved to a spanking-new, 2-storied showroom earlier this year, their loyal clients were ecstatic. They have been in business before most of the biggest brands of off-road wheels even existed!
- Get lowest assured prices on every model.
- A variety of affordable financing options.
- Faster and cheaper shipping across the US.
- Free alignments and balancing when you purchase rims and tires.
On that last point, did you know that Fuel Wheels also made tires for use on unhospitable terrain?
Now you do! Happy motoring!